The xferlog file contains transfer logging information from the FTP Server, in.ftpd(1M). You can use the logfile capability to change the
location of the log file. See ftpaccess(4).
Each server entry is composed of a single line of the following form. All fields are separated by spaces.
current-time transfer-time remote-host file-size filename
transfer-type special-action-flag direction access-mode username
service-name authentication-method authenticated-user-id completion-status
The fields are defined as follows:
- The current local time in the form DDD MMM dd hh:mm:ss YYYY, where:
- Is the day of the week
- Is the month
- Is the day of the month
- Is the hour
- Is the minutes
- Is the seconds
- Is the year
- The total time in seconds for the transfer
- The remote host name
- The number of bytes transferred
- The name of the transferred file
- A single character indicating the type of transfer:
- Indicates an ascii transfer
- Indicates a binary transfer
- One or more single character flags that indicate any special action taken. The special-action-flag can have one of more of the following values:
- File was compressed
- File was uncompressed
- File was archived, for example, by using tar(1)
- _ (underbar)
- No action was taken.
- The direction of the transfer. direction can have one of the following values:
- The method by which the user is logged in. access-mode can have one of the following values:
- For an anonymous user.
- For a passworded guest user. See the description of the guestgroup capability in ftpaccess(4).
- For a real, locally authenticated user
- The local username, or if anonymous, the ID string given
- The name of the service invoked, usually ftp
- The method of authentication used. authentication-method can have one of the following values:
RFC 931 authentication
- The user ID returned by the authentication method. A * is used if an authenticated user ID is not available.
- A single character indicating the status of the transfer. completion-status can have one of the following values:
- Indicates complete transfer
- Indicates incomplete transfer