[rancid] The reoccurring question - Cisco ASA Login failures

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Tue Mar 5 15:55:54 UTC 2013

Usernames with spaces? Wow.

What I normally do with devices that need weird SSH commands is run an
external script. (Properly escaping spaces in shell in Tcl in Expect
is hard.) You can find an example at
http://blather.michaelwlucas.com/archives/422

==ml

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 09:41:06AM -0600, Danica L Alcaraz wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I'm STILL not able to get my RANCID to successfully login to our Cisco ASA
> firewalls.  We've got TACACS+ (which is not that big a deal) but they
> insisted on giving usernames that had spaces in them and the script doesn't
> like anything I've tried to get it to take the string literally (mostly
> used {user name} or "user name").  I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 with RANCID
> 2.3.8.  It insists that I designate the method ssh so I can't work it like
> my HP boxes.  I need some more suggestions on this if you've got them.
>
> I've tried many things based on what I've seen in the blogs but here's my
> current:
>
> add user 	192.168.*.* 	{user name}		<< or "user name" (or even
> {"user name"}
> add password 	192.168.*.* 	{password} {password}
> add method	192.168.*.*	ssh
> add autoenable 192.168.*.*	{1}
>
> prompt$ /usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin 192.168.*.*
> 192.168.*.*
> spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l user name 192.168.*.*		<< with quotes or
> squiggly brackets it still only reads the second word of the username
> ssh:  Couldn't resolve hostname name: Name or service not known
>
> Error:  Couldn't login:  192.168.*.*
>
> Has anyone gotten it to work using another device script?
> Are there other ways to tell Ubuntu to read the username with a space
> literally?
> My HP devices take the string literally without help from {} or "" but only
> if I remove the add method directive,  Hmmm, I wonder if I make it think
> it's an HP.
>
> Any ideas appreciated.  Thanks.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Danica Alcaraz
> Network Administrator
> ODS-ITD NITOAD Branch
> Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts
> 7550 IH 10 West, Suite 200
> San Antonio, Texas 78229-5821
> Direct:  (210) 308-3217
> Fax:  (210) 308-3225
> danica_alcaraz at fd.org

Michael W. Lucas  -  mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com, Twitter @mwlauthor
http://www.MichaelWLucas.com/, http://blather.MichaelWLucas.com/
Latest book: Absolute OpenBSD 2/e - http://www.nostarch.com/openbsd2e
coupon code "ILUVMICHAEL" gets you 30% off & helps me.