[rancid] The reoccurring question - Cisco ASA Login failures

Danica L Alcaraz Danica_Alcaraz at fd.org
Tue Mar 5 15:41:06 UTC 2013

Guys,

I'm STILL not able to get my RANCID to successfully login to our Cisco ASA
firewalls.  We've got TACACS+ (which is not that big a deal) but they
insisted on giving usernames that had spaces in them and the script doesn't
like anything I've tried to get it to take the string literally (mostly
used {user name} or "user name").  I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 with RANCID
2.3.8.  It insists that I designate the method ssh so I can't work it like
my HP boxes.  I need some more suggestions on this if you've got them.

I've tried many things based on what I've seen in the blogs but here's my
current:

add user 	192.168.*.* 	{user name}		<< or "user name" (or even
{"user name"}
add password 	192.168.*.* 	{password} {password}
add method	192.168.*.*	ssh
add autoenable 192.168.*.*	{1}

prompt$ /usr/local/rancid/bin/clogin 192.168.*.*
192.168.*.*
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l user name 192.168.*.*		<< with quotes or
squiggly brackets it still only reads the second word of the username
ssh:  Couldn't resolve hostname name: Name or service not known

Error:  Couldn't login:  192.168.*.*

Has anyone gotten it to work using another device script?
Are there other ways to tell Ubuntu to read the username with a space
literally?
My HP devices take the string literally without help from {} or "" but only
if I remove the add method directive,  Hmmm, I wonder if I make it think
it's an HP.

Any ideas appreciated.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Danica Alcaraz
Network Administrator
ODS-ITD NITOAD Branch
Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts
7550 IH 10 West, Suite 200
San Antonio, Texas 78229-5821
Direct:  (210) 308-3217
Fax:  (210) 308-3225