[rancid] HP Procurve (hlogin): interaction in configure mode: possible?

Emmanuel Halbwachs Emmanuel.Halbwachs at obspm.fr
Mon Jan 7 18:25:49 UTC 2008

Hi Everybody,

I'm a newbie on this list.

I'm happily using rancid (2.3.1, the one in Debian stable etch) for
several monthes, but till now only for pushing/retrieving some info
with {c,h}login. I plan to use version control for config later.

My point:

I am trying to change some config parameters in ~50 HP Procurve with
some commands like this:

  $ hlogin -v foo -e bar -c "conf t; foobar; wr mem" $switch

The output then hangs after the "conf t" command:

  switch> enable
  Password:
  switch#
  switch# no page
  switch#  conf t

  -> hang :-(

When using hlogin without entering in configure mode, everything works
just fine.

I tried to massage the -c command with "\n" without any results.

I understand that dealing with the HP CLI seems to be a PIA (thus
hpuifilter), but is there a way to enter some commands in configure
mode?

TIA for any hint,

--
Emmanuel Halbwachs
Resp. Réseau/Sécurité                    Observatoire de Paris-Meudon