Do you need 'sh vlan' output on your switch?

Terry Kennedy terry at tmk.com
Tue Aug 24 04:11:35 UTC 2004

> In addition to the patch Terry suggested, it'd be interesting to know if
> people need the "show vlan" output from their switches anymore?

  Yup 8-)

> As you may be aware, "show vlan" parsing to RANCID was added for the
> 2924/3500 series (malibu) switch because cisco (due to possible
> autonymous updates from VTP) put the VLAN config in a seperate mode
> ("vlan database").  Parsing "show vlan" was a bit of a hack to get
> around not seperately backing up the vlan.dat file from the switch.

  I added "show vlan" to RANCID. I'm not sure if the current implementation
is from me, or if it was done by somebody else (I added a lot of stuff in the
1.5/1.6 timeframe).

  At the time, I only had C55xx's and C2900XL's to work with. Since then, I
have added 650x's and various C2550 / C3500XL / C3550 boxes. My techs find
the "show vlan" output useful as it is saved by RANCID on all platforms in
a consistent manner. It also means that changes that ripple through the net-
work (for example, a learned VLAN via an update from another switch) show
up. I don't think that happens when parsing "show run", though I could be
mistaken.

        Terry Kennedy             http://www.tmk.com
        terry at tmk.com             New York, NY USA