Do you need 'sh vlan' output on your switch?

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Mon Aug 23 22:55:46 UTC 2004

Terry Kennedy provided a patch for issues from rancid's choice of
'terminal'...

>>I have been running rancid for a little more than a year now and have been
>>enduring the one little nagging problem I have... until today. :)
>>
>>I have a cisco 3750 switch with vlans configured on it that keeps sending
>>me diffs for a non-change event. Here it is:
>
> [snip]
>
>>The information is just a slightly different format of the version from
>>before. Is there an easy way to "fix" this?

In addition to the patch Terry suggested, it'd be interesting to know if
people need the "show vlan" output from their switches anymore?

Do the non-malibu switches (i.e., does the 2950) store its VLAN table in
the main configuration, or only in vlan.dat?  If the former, well, we
can tell rancid not to include the "show vlan" output for that model of
switch (however, both modes are available, so a default option means
some people won't get their VLAN table stored).

As you may be aware, "show vlan" parsing to RANCID was added for the
2924/3500 series (malibu) switch because cisco (due to possible
autonymous updates from VTP) put the VLAN config in a seperate mode
("vlan database").  Parsing "show vlan" was a bit of a hack to get
around not seperately backing up the vlan.dat file from the switch.

Newer boxes when running extended VLAN IDs (required for Multi-instance
STP config, for example) force the switch into VTP transparent mode, and
then VLANs are configured inside the main config (phew!).  Looking for
the command and then optionally running 'sh vlan' parser requires some
big changes to the code...

-andrew