Do you need 'sh vlan' output on your switch?

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Tue Aug 24 04:25:19 UTC 2004

Terry Kennedy wrote:

>  At the time, I only had C55xx's and C2900XL's to work with. Since then, I
> have added 650x's and various C2550 / C3500XL / C3550 boxes. My techs find
> the "show vlan" output useful as it is saved by RANCID on all platforms in
> a consistent manner. It also means that changes that ripple through the
> net-
> work (for example, a learned VLAN via an update from another switch) show
> up. I don't think that happens when parsing "show run", though I could be
> mistaken.

Right; this is the 'problem'.  VTP managed switches require this
command's output, non-VTP managed switches, well, don't (perhaps). (And
if you want to use VLAN IDs >1005 you'll setting vtp mode transparent).
  Commands in write term/show run output are purely static definitions
(since that only happens when vtp is set transparent and 'extended'
(full) VLAN range is confiured) (at least on IOS switches).

Cheers,
Andrew