[rancid] rancid support for Brocade Fabric OS

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Wed Feb 17 10:43:05 UTC 2016

On 17/02/2016 10:21, John Heasley wrote:
> Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 06:37:45PM +0000, David Ahrens:
>> Hi Elliot,
>>
>> I have some old Brocade 200 SAN switches running version 5.2.2 of Fabric OS.   The brocaderancid script seems to run properly but for some reason doesn't recognize/capture the out of the commands.  The attached log file shows the output of the switch commands,   any ideas?
> So, how many different O/S's does brocade have?  FabricOS, what else?
>
> I've cleaned-up the brocadelogin script a little bit and imported it as
> brlogin.  This could probably be cleaned-up further, remove ExtremeOS-specific
> stuff etc, but I have nothing to test against.
>
> ftp://ftp.shrubbery.net/pub/rancid/alpha/rancid-3.4.99.tar.gz

Brocade bought Foundry, so they have FabricOS/FabOS for their own
traditional SAN Switches (silkworm etc), plus the Foundry OS (Ironware?)
which is a lot like ios. They also recently bought Vyatta, which has its
own config style.

IMHO vendor names are not a good choice for device types - 'cisco' is
really 'ios', not css/arrowpoint, or nxos, or iosxr, or catos. Those are
all supported, but sometimes only if you know which vendor bought which
10 years ago... same sort of thing for companies like Dell and HP where
it's not even different ranges with different OS - some HP is comware
and some is procurve-classic, all in the Procurve range, as far as I can
see. Juniper SSG is another - 'netscreen' isn't in the product name or
company name anymore.