[rancid] Random white space when fetching configuration from MRV devices / why not switching off paging?

Christian Rohmann crohmann at netcologne.de
Wed Apr 20 09:19:34 UTC 2016

Hey rancid-discuss,

I am using RANCID 3.4.1 to fetch configuration off of MRV devices of models:

 OptiSwitch 904
 OptiSwitch 906G
 OptiSwitch 912C
 OptiSwitch 940

I am seeing random noise with white space / indentation in front of
configuration lines:

diff:
------------------------
-  contact "removed"
-           location removed
+           contact "removed"
+  location removed

This is happening all over the config, not just at

1) I am wondering why a command

 send -h "terminal length 0\r"

is send in mrvlogin even though (at least my devices) don't unserstand it.

2) I tried to "optimize" / fix this by changing it to

 send -h "no cli-paging \r"

but then the prompt or the end of the command is not recognized anymore
:-( So more work is necessary. But since "no cli-paging" was tried
before the intention to not use any paging was there.

Has any1 here played with MRV devices and would like to join in trying
to properly fix this?

Regards

Christian