[rancid] How to extend Rancid. Basics.

Robert Drake rdrake at direcpath.com
Mon Aug 3 04:12:57 UTC 2015

Not that the capability exists now, but check out NETCONF/YANG for what
could be and then ask your vendors why they can't make something
standard.  Some of the big players are involved with it but the problem
is you're inevitably going to have some big boy gear that supports
netconf and then 10 shit-tier vendors that never will.

Most ISP's are at least going to have some mission critical gear that
needs to be backed up that is going to be built by someone in the
shit-tier category.  I've got some gear from people who build routing
and switching products and still don't have a "show config/show run" of
any sort.  Their latest product doesn't have a "show ip interface brief"
equivalent so you need to either SNMP poll it for interface status, use
their dumb management console or use the web frontend.

I don't think there will be a good solution within our careers.  It
would be nice if we could convince vendors that configuration isn't a
special thing that requires years of careful study in manuals then
specialized testing per platform.  The problems are that certifications
make the vendors money and keep us locked in to their products, which
are generally all just thin software shells around the same set of chips
the other guy is using.