[rancid] Question about " How to configure RANCID on CentOS "

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 20:08:19 UTC 2014

You ssh to the router and enter the correct username and password, it works.

You clogin to the router and believe the username and password are
correct it .cloginrc but it fails.

Therefore clogin is not doing what you think it is doing, it is doing
something else.

For us to help you, you must supply more information. All you have said
so far is that your config is correct but it doesn't work, and that's
not enough information to help you at all.

autoenable is not relevant here, when you get multiple password prompts
it is your username/password that is wrong, and autoenable comes later.

Examine .cloginrc very carefully and keep in mind these facts:

1. it's first match wins. So if you have this

add password * my-pass
add passward my-router.example.com my-other-pass

the first line is used as it matches everything.

2. Passwords often have special characters that must be quoted using {}
like this:

add password my-router.example.com {my-other-pass}

Finally, when there is no obvious problem with .cloginrc. run clogin
with the -d option to get a debug output. Then you can see what the
software is really doing..