[rancid] So close yet....

Charles Gagnon charlesg at unixrealm.com
Fri Apr 11 20:01:47 UTC 2014

So I just tried deploying rancid on a RHEL 6.2 box. I have:

rancid 3.0
perl v5.10.1
expect version 5.44.1.15

It seems close to working but whenever I run 'rancid-run', routers end-up
in the routers.down file. I am testing right now with a single entry in my
router.db.

I tested w/ clogin myrouter (which works)
I can also do rancid -t cisco myroute (and it also saves a file)

If I run "rancid myrouter" it failed with:
$ rancid myrouter
loadtype(): device_type is empty
Couldn't load device type spec for

But this may be normal.

rancid-run returns no errors. Returns in a few seconds with no output. What
is the best way to troubleshoot this?

I check my .db file and it is NOT DOS format. How can I tell if I have a
problem with my file.

Any good way to troubleshoot this?

--
Charles Gagnon