[rancid] Daily Difference Digest?

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 08:35:53 UTC 2013

On 23/10/2013 07:31, Tyler Christiansen wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Apologies if this has been asked, but searching the web doesn't turn up
> much (and it's made more difficult by the fact that searching for
> 'rancid difference daily digest' and similar items turns up nothing but
> stomach digestion information!).
>
> Is it possible to configure Rancid to e-mail differences in a daily
> digest format?  We might make several small changes throughout the day,
> and instead of getting e-mailed every time we make a change, I'd like to
> get a summary of all changes for the entire day.
>
> Thanks for any tips/help/advice/etc!

To the best of my knowledge rancid doesn't do that natively. It would be
hard to code it, as rancid uses the classic method to send mail: print
text and pipe it to a mailer. To digest, rancid would have to store
mails somewhere and gather them up once a day in a cron

Digest is best done in your mail system, not in your rancid system. The
method I use is to send all rancid mail to a Mailman instance and tell
the users to sign themselves up. They can choose digest or individual
mails as they prefer and I don't have to get involved.

Many other possible solutions exist, depending on how big your setup is,
how many devices and users, etc.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com