[rancid] Cisco ASA in Rancid

Justin Popa tehpopa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 17:06:16 UTC 2013

I've set up a handful of Cisco switches and routers inside Rancid without
issue. Unfortunately I cannot get rancid talking to my ASA 5520 no matter
what I do.

1) I've checked to make sure that the ASA has the IP of the rancid server
allowed to SSH.
2) I tested sshing to the ASA from the rancid server, which worked as
expected.
3) I verified the login settings in my cloginrc file, and confirmed the dns
name was correct in routers.db.
4) I did a "./clogin -u rancidusername -p r3gularp4ss -e en4blep4ss -c "sh
ver" thisismyasa.domain.com" which properly returned a "sh ver" from the
ASA.

However, despite everything looking normal, when I run "rancid-run" I do
not receive alerts about rancid being able to connect to the ASA, nor does
the config file in /rancidpath/var/corp/configs/ populate with the ASA's
configuration file. It does create a file for the ASA in that directory,
but it's 0k.

Anyone have any thoughts?