[rancid] Force10 inventory for pluggable media

Hughes, Doug Douglas.Hughes at DEShawResearch.com
Thu Mar 7 22:42:02 UTC 2013

Nice one, thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: rancid-discuss-bounces at shrubbery.net [mailto:rancid-discuss-bounces at shrubbery.net] On Behalf Of Kevin Bonner
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:16 PM
To: rancid-discuss at shrubbery.net
Subject: [rancid] Force10 inventory for pluggable media

I have several different Force10 switch models and they allow me to view pluggable media using the 'show inventory media' command.  That command was introduced in FTOS firmware 7.5.1.0 (released August 2007).

I've added the following line to my f10rancid script after the 'show inventory' command:
       {'show inventory media'         => 'ShowInventory'},

Sample output from this addition on a Force10 S50 switch stack:
+ !Inventory: Slot   Port     Type        Media               Serial Number        F10Qualified
+ !Inventory:    0     49              Media not present or accessible
+ !Inventory:    0     50     XFP         10GBASE-LR          ABCDEFG                  Yes
+ !Inventory:    0     45              Media not present or accessible
+ !Inventory:    0     46              Media not present or accessible
+ !Inventory:    0     47              Media not present or accessible
+ !Inventory:    0     48     SFP         1000BASE-LX         HIJKLMN                  Yes
+ !Inventory:    1     49     XFP         10GBASE-LR          OPQRSTU                  Yes
+ !Inventory:    1     50              Media not present or accessible
+ !Inventory:    1     45              Media not present or accessible
+ !Inventory:    1     46              Media not present or accessible
+ !Inventory:    1     47              Media not present or accessible
+ !Inventory:    1     48              Media not present or accessible

Hope this helps anyone curious about what optics have been inserted / removed in their devices.

-Kevin