[rancid] Help for total Rancid Newb / Linux Newb?

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 10:33:30 UTC 2013

On 20/06/2013 16:41, James Shride wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 1. Linux Newb
> 2. Rancid Newb
>

> Here is the problem:
>     We have had a working rancid build in place for a while. However we
> no longer have the person who admin'd it. After a recent config change
> to a switch, its spamming the notification. I never noticed this
> behavior before. Is this indicative of an error in the switch config, or
> do I have to acknowledge this rancid alert or something?
>

>     I am grateful for any guidance or advice.

Most likely is that something in the switch's config is now cycling or
changing frequently and rancid doesn't know to ignore it.

I get these kinds of things all the time, I recall one case where an OS
upgrade made many routers report on the cooling fan's rpm, you can
imagine how much spam that would generate and how completely useless the
info is :-) My solution for that was to add extra data checks in the
code so that rancid would ignore it.

Send a copy of the diff mails you get to the list so we can see what
your switch is doing

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com