[rancid] Need some Help - F5's in RANCID

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 23:57:57 UTC 2011

On 6/30/11, Lee <ler762 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/28/11, Jethro R Binks <jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Lee wrote:
>>
>>> After seeing that the regularly scheduled rancid run failed to get
>>> several F5 configs this morning I ran it manually:
>>>
>>> export NOPIPE=YES
>>> rancid-run F5
>>>
>>> rancid collected all the configs & no errors in the log.  Crontab
>>> kicked off the rancid run later in the day & several F5s showed up in
>>> the log with the
>>> missed cmd(s): ls --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.crt,ls
>>> --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.key
>>>
>>> again, run rancid manually with NOPIPE=YES and everything works.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on how to debug the problem would be appreciated since
>>> the standard debugging suggestion is to set NOPIPE and use the -d
>>> option.  I have yet to see rancid fail to get an F5 config if nopipe
>>> is set
>>
>> In that case, in rancid.conf you can set NOPIPE permanently:
>>
>> # if NOPIPE is set, temp files will be used instead of a cmd pipe during
>> # collection from the router(s).
>> NOPIPE=YES; export NOPIPE
>
> Well!!  It doesn't seem to depend on NOPIPE.  rancid run manually to
> collect F5 configs works -- with NOPIPE set or clear.  Rancid run from
> crontab sometimes works, sometimes not.
>
> Unless someone beats me to it (hint, hint :) I'll try to figure out
> next week if it's an env. variable setting missing from the crontab
> run that's causing the problem

I've been dicking with this off & on for about a week now & I'm stuck.

How do you change the line width on an F5???

  (names changed to protect the guilty :)
[prompt] ~ # bigpipe route static show^M
No Routing Table Entries were found.^M
[prompt] ~ # stty cols 160^M
[prompt] ~ # ls --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl ^M.crt^M
total 3056^M

that space, carriage return on the echoed "ls --full-time" command
occurs at column 81.  Even with an "stty cols 160" added to the
f5rancid commandtable the darn F5 *still* splits the echoed command at
column 80 when rancid is called via crontab.

The annoying part is that logging in from a term window of 132 columns
I can use stty to change the width down to 80 and see the F5 add the
<cr> in the echoed output.  Do an 'stty cols 160' and it echos the
command with no added carriage returns.

So.....  am I doing something wrong?  "stty cols NNN" works when I ssh
in but it's not working for me when rancid is called from cron.  Is
there some other way to tell an F5 not to default to "stty cols 80" or
not to do line wraps?

TIA,
Lee