[rancid] support for D-Link switches, where to start?

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Feb 16 09:31:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> > > Where there isn't a getConf() command available, do people have a
> > > solution, eg maybe run command to put config to a tftp server, then
> > > have rancid download from the tftp server.
> >
> > that could work, but I've not done it before (ie: have no examples).
>
> Ah well, the lazy person in me was hoping some code would be there
> already :-) Our 3Com 4400s seem to have the same issue.

wrancid/wrapwrancid might help: see:

  http://sites.google.com/site/jrbinks/code/rancid/wraprancid

although since I modified Michael Stefaniuc's original, I haven't actually
used it.

"In brief, w(rap)rancid permits a arbitrary third-party script to be used
to obtain the configuration for a device, rather than expecting rancid
itself to obtain it through clogin/etc. This permits rancid to be used as
a tool for backing up and monitoring changes on a class of devices that do
not have a useable CLI, or which cannot write a textual configuration to
the terminal, as long as some method exists for pulling a textual
configuration from the device (for example, by invoking transfer to
tftp/ftp server via SNMP or CLI, or using scp to retrieve the
configuration file)."

The 3Com 4400 doesn't have a CLI (menu) command to show the running
config, but you could run something periodically to tftp the config to a
server, from where you can instruct rancid can read it by using
wraprancid.

Disclaimer: I've forgotten everything about wraprancid now ...

J.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.