[rancid] Strange Jerancid/Rancid behavior

Mack, David A (Dave) dmack at verizon.com
Mon Aug 22 16:34:01 UTC 2011

All,
	Hello! I am in the process of bringing up a new Rancid server and have run into something with at least the jerancid script for Juniper ERXs. What I am seeing is related to password removal. I have filter passwords globally set to "no". However the ERXs have certain passwords that have their hashes calculated on the fly. So each time they are display the values shown will change. This means you get a new CVS every run. Jerancid has routines to handle two of these conditions for FTP and MPLS LDP passwords:

# ftp host encrypted password oscillates
        if (/^(host \S+ \S+ ftp) /) {
            if ($filter_pwds >= 1 || /^host \S+ \S+ ftp \d /) {
                ProcessHistory("","","","!$1 <removed>\n"); next;
            }
        }
 # mpls ldp encrypted password oscillates
        if (/^(mpls ldp neighbor \S+ password)/) {
            if ($filter_pwds >= 1 || /^mpls ldp neighbor \S+ password \d /) {
                ProcessHistory("","","","!$1 <removed>\n"); next;
            }
        }

I am comparing the collected configuration files between my old Rancid install and my new one and here is what I am seeing:

Old Rancid:

!host "FTP1" 172.15.1.1 ftp <removed>
!host "FTP2" 172.15.1.2 ftp <removed>

New Rancid:

! <removed>
! <removed>

I looked at the code for jerancid and I could not find any significant changes that would cause this. When I jerancid from the command line with the debug flag I got:

csrest01(opseng)$ jerancid -d -l erx-ser-01
executing clogin -t 90 -c"show version;show redundancy;show boot;show environment all;dir;show hardware;show configuration" ERX-ser-01
executing clogin -t 90 -c"show version;show redundancy;show boot;show environment all;dir;show hardware;show configuration" ERX-ser-01
PROMPT MATCH: ERX-SER-01#
HIT COMMAND:ERX-SER-01#show version
    In ShowVersion: ERX-SER-01#show version
HIT COMMAND:ERX-SER-01#show redundancy
    In ShowRedundancy: ERX-SER-01#show redundancy
HIT COMMAND:ERX-SER-01#show boot
    In ShowBoot: ERX-SER-01#show boot
HIT COMMAND:ERX-SER-01#show environment all
    In ShowEnv: ERX-SER-01#show environment all
HIT COMMAND:ERX-SER-01#dir
    In DirSlotN: ERX-SER-01#dir
HIT COMMAND:ERX-SER-01#show hardware
    In ShowHardware: ERX-SER-01#show hardware
HIT COMMAND:ERX-SER-01#show configuration
    In WriteTerm: ERX-SER-01#show configuration
Done : ERX-SER-01#exit

When I look at the .new file created, it does have full commands:

!host "FTP1" 172.15.1.1 ftp <removed>
!host "FTP2" 172.15.1.2 ftp <removed>

What gives? Any ideas how to troubleshoot and resolve this?

My setup:
	Rancid 2.3.6
	CVS-1.11.23
	Perl 5.8.8