[rancid] Why in Cisco rancid configs no "Last configuration change..." string?

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Wed Sep 22 09:55:18 UTC 2010

2010/9/9 Aleksey P <paleola at gmail.com>:
> Hello.
> When we do  'show configuration' command on Cisco device we can see at the
> top of config this strings:
>>sh conf
> Using 72573 out of 245752 bytes
> !
> ! Last configuration change at 10:59:44 MSD Wed Sep 8 2010 by user1
> ! NVRAM config last updated at 13:11:15 MSD Wed Sep 8 2010 by user1
> !
> version 12.4
>
> But in configs that i receive by Rancid i see only:
> Using 72573 out of 245752 bytes
> !
> version 12.4
>
> So, something it missed two important strings :(
> By the way - in Juniper configs over Rancid all seems fine:
>
> ## Last commit: 2010-09-02 14:11:15 MSD by root
> version 10.3R1.9;
>
> How can it be fixed for Cisco device?

Those lines are intentionally filtered in the 'rancid' script.  I
believe there may have been a buggy IOS that produced spurious
differentials on that output, based at least on the comment in the
code.

You can comment out the following in the 'rancid' script if you want
to see those lines:

(somewhere around line 1570)

	# some versions have other crap mixed in with the bits in the
	# block above
	/^! (Last configuration|NVRAM config last)/ && next;

cheers,
-a