[rancid] wrangling configs with RANCID (right for non-Cisco vendors?)

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Aug 19 05:19:45 UTC 2010

Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 05:47:31PM -0700, Rogelio:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Ryan West <rwest at zyedge.com> wrote:
> > A lot of non cisco devices are supported, what type of device are you trying to backup?
>
> D-Link and BelAir wireless devices are some of what we have to
> monitor.  Many more weird ones are on the Horizon.
>
> Does RANCID allow you to monitor devices that don't easily output
> their config?  (Some of these devices make you go into each directory
> and type out a command that gives the status, but not in a format that
> is copy/pastable)

none are currently supported.  as mentioned in a recent thread, its possible
that a script could, for example, tftp a config from a device, copy that
config to (or compile multiple tftp'd files int) router.db_devicename.raw,
then treat the like rancid does for the NOPIPE option (see rancid.conf(5)).