[rancid] Re: RANCID Log Messages: "sendmail: not found" with no mailed diffs

Traiano Welcome twelcome at tenet.ac.za
Thu Sep 17 13:30:59 UTC 2009

Hi Ryan

Ryan West wrote:
> Traiano,
>
> The software is attempting to send you the diffs, but it seems you've removed sendmail.

That was also my first suspicion, but I've checked that I can still use
sendmail on my server ( "| sendmail -t" as is used in the control_rancid
script). Also, I snipped a bit out of control_rancid that actually sends
the diff and tested that it sends mail, for example, this bit works if
put into a shell script:

---
#!/bin/sh
( echo "To: twelcome at tenet.ac.za"
echo "Subject: no /usr/lib/rancid/router.db file"
echo "Precedence: bulk"
echo ""
echo "router.db does not exist."
) | sendmail -t
---

These are the details of sendmail on my box (it's actually a wrapper
around exim4, but it's always been that way):

---

root at cyclops:~/analysis/ranci# which sendmail
/usr/sbin/sendmail

root at cyclops:~/analysis/ranci# file `which sendmail`
/usr/sbin/sendmail: symbolic link to `exim4'

---

Hmmm, I'm at a loss.

Traiano