[rancid] Re: Cisco ASA 8.2 software - changes....

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri May 29 04:44:40 UTC 2009

Peter Serwe wrote:
> Anybody running a configuration management system that checks the same
> things is going to log the change,
> it just so happens that rancid is particularly complete about checking
> for differences.
>
> For that matter, rancid isn't really a full-fledged configuration
> management system, but most of what anyone really
> wants to use one for is encompassed in rancid's functionality.  Any
> functioning configuration differ that is as complete
> as rancid would pick up the changes, it just so happens that most people
> don't run one, or look at the diffs, because
> the rest of them don't email out the changes like rancid does out of the
> box.
>
> I haven't noticed, FWIW, the same behavior in the 7.2.4 branch.

It's a new "feature" added in 8.2.  I agree, other config management
systems should pick this up to and I'm sure they do.  In fact I took
that position when I opened my TAC case.  RANCID being the best, most
popular config management system out there (is that pudding on my nose?)
accounts for a proportionally larger amount of calls on this issue than
the competitors.

Justin