[rancid] Re: Added 3com BLS switches (2948) and corrected script for fortigate 80, and OpenSuSE spec file

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Fri Jun 12 20:50:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Diego Ercolani wrote:

> It appears that rancid suite is far from be an out of the box product, I
> think you have to personalize scripts you are using on your
> infrastructure. And of course, to understand what is going on, you have
> to know a little bit of: subversion (or cvs) expect and tcl perl

Not typically.  For the supported devices, and by following the
installation instructions, and by suitable configuration, there shouldn't
be any need to 'personalize scripts'.  If, for a supported device, you
need to do that, then the required changes with explanation should be fed
back to the project for consideration for inclusion for the benefit of
everyone.

> ...not so easy for today sysadm that are used to click only on Next in
> PC installation wizards...

That's hardly a problem exclusive to rancid, however.  Given the variety
of platforms it is intended to be used on, it is somewhat difficult to
make it clicky-clicky or seamless install.  Sysadmins desiring that sort
of functionality should stick to the platforms that provide it.
Otherwise, they are going to have to learn to do a thing or two -- and be
better sysadmins in the long run for doing so.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK