[rancid] Re: launchd and rancid

Daniel Medina daniel.medina at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 19:24:37 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 10:14:53AM -0500, Josh Rogers wrote:
> I'm trying to get launchd to start rancid daily, but have had a lot of
> trouble (assuredly because of my inexperience with launchd).  Launchd
> is launching the process, and log files are being written as www (the
> correct user), but when I look at the log file, this is at the top of
> it:
>
>   Trying to get all of the configs.
>   can't read "env(HOME)": no such variable
>
> I believe this is because the environment isn't set up properly.  If I
> run rancid-run from the command line (bash) "sudo -u www rancid-run"
> it runs fine.

 What does

    $ launchctl export

say?  HOME is one of the variables that's usually set for you, EX:

    PATH="/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"; export PATH;
    TMPDIR="/var/folders/0p/0pdl6kW0HyGu7FSWcApHrU+++TI/-Tmp-/"; export TMPDIR;
    SHELL="/bin/bash"; export SHELL;
    HOME="/Users/medina"; export HOME;
    USER="medina"; export USER;
    LOGNAME="medina"; export LOGNAME;

Optionally, you could make a shell springboard, EX:

    #!/bin/bash
    # debug env(HOME) setting problem

    HOME=/Users/homedir
    export HOME
    /usr/bin/printenv > /tmp/printenv.log
    /Path/to/rancid-run

and then run that shell script from launchd.

--
Daniel Medina