[rancid] Re: Rancid development, WAS: Re: subversion issues

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Thu May 22 17:47:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008, Hank Kilmer wrote:

> Yes, there are more developers than just John.  One of the problems we
> have with many of the patches is that people send them in with GNU or
> other copyright bits attached making incorporation impossible.  Rancid
> development is still going on and some fairly large upgrades are
> currently being discussed.

Hello Hank,

Thanks for the reply.  I think it would be useful if there was some more
public information on who is directly involved in rancid development, and
a roadmap on where it is going.  Perhaps more public discussion from the
developers on the list would be good, and suggestions for where people can
assist.

The web pages generally could be improved, there are several files, hints,
and utilities tucked away in the distribution that just don't get a
mention on the web page.

Regarding the licence, I realise that can be an issue: but in that case
should be an explicit statement somewhere regarding what licences may or
may not be acceptable for the developers.  Even where patches are offered
with a licence that you cannot accept, it may be useful for them to be
listed so people can choose to apply them, usual caveats apply.

In summary, I'd just like to see more signs of activity and information!

Jethro.