[rancid] Re: Blogin support for Nortel 5520

Juan Carlos Huerta juancarloshuerta at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 17:43:27 UTC 2007

Thanks for your comments... as you said I configured switches to skip banner
and menu, the only think I didn't knew is how to disable the menu after
doing a "logout" or "exit" in the CLI, currently that's the only step when I
have to do a "send 'logout\rL'" (by the way, in the login step I was meaning
a Ctrl-Y + C, no Ctrl-Y + L) xD

Another question, I'm trying to capture all the switch configuration
(ERS-5520) using the "show run", but I cannot avoid the "--- More (press
return... ---" pagination, I saw that rancid try to send a "more off"
command before asking for config, but It is a not valid command in ERS-5520
switches, do you know how to tell the switch to skip the pagination issue?

Thanks a lot.

JC

On 11/16/07, Francois Mikus <fmikus at acktomic.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Do you have consistency in the capture of the Ctrl-Y + L.
>
> I have found in testing against 470s(which use the same Menu as the
> ERS-55x0), that it works 95% of the time. But the more commands are
> issued in the Menu, the more likely the rancid jams in a loop. I have
> successfully configured and tested rancid for ERS-1600, ERS-8600,
> ES-470s with my new custom modules based brancid, another which I can't
> remember.
>
> Increasing delay before sending commands does help, but it has not
> reached the magic 100% reliability of a regular CLI method.
>
> I would suggest configuring your switches to always come up in CLI
> instead of menu, avoiding all of this hassle. Rancid can automate the
> configuration of CLI mode. Just run it once, check your logs, then
> correct the outsanding ones. Or just run rancid a couple times. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Francois Mikus
>
> Juan Carlos Huerta wrote:
> > I made some modifications to blogin to support the Nortel Baystack
> > 5520 UI (Ctrl-Y + "L" to enter directly to the CLI), I'l be glad to
> > cooperate in the project if you think it's ok.
> >
> > JC
> >
> > On Nov 13, 2007 8:21 PM, Juan Carlos Huerta
> > <juancarloshuerta at gmail.com <mailto:juancarloshuerta at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     I'm working in a little modification to blogin to support this,
> >     I'll let you know any update.
> >

> >     On Nov 13, 2007 7:52 PM, john heasley < heas at shrubbery.net
> >     <mailto:heas at shrubbery.net>> wrote:
> >
> >         Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 01:56:56PM -0600, Juan Carlos Huerta:
> >         > Hi all,
> >         >
> >         > Is there any support with blogin to Nortel siwtches with UI?
> >         (in my case
> >         > 5520). I want to connect to it using blogin, but the problem
> >         is that when I
> >         > try to ssh my switch it shows an UI (Press Ctrl+Y, use arrow
> >         keys, etc)
> >
> >         sorry, such UIs are not supported.
> >

> >     --
> >     Juan Carlos