[rancid] DEVEL: FWSM and Vyatta support [2]

Rob Shepherd rob at techniumcast.com
Wed Nov 14 17:31:07 UTC 2007

[ Copy of msg sent 06/11/2007 0943 GMT ]
[ I've had no responses but I'm still keen to progress this ]
[ Anybody with any thoughts please speak now ]
[ Original follows ]

Dear Rancid users,

I'd like to tackle the much talked of support for FWSM multi-context
configurations.

I'll also try and add support for vyatta OFR PC-Based routers.  I have
one of
these now. So far, impressed and happy with it.

I'm unfamiliar with the architecture of rancid and I'm not a perl
programmer,
but I am a competant developer. Thus i'll need just a bit of handholding to
begin with.

If anybody has drawn up any ideas thus far, i'd happily start there, as
I have
not made a start.

I will try for dynamic retreival of FWSM contexts, but I'd be happy
ending up
just doing a static context list(i.e. with a prepoulated list of context
somehow
- I don't add contexts very often). CAST your votes now.....

1. Could somebody tell me if there is a CVS server for development of rancid
2. Could somebody hint at which version to devel from. should I apply
any of the
patches available from the main site (I don't know what they do)
3. Please can somebody who has familiarity maybe take some timeout to
point out
the hunks of code that will need touching
4. Is anybody out there willing to test either of the proposed systems.

As for vyatta devices, this just uses an unix SSH connection, to a
custom login
shell. Attached is sample output for a config retrieval. I can't imagine
why I
couldn't add support for this.... if somebody can cast an knowledgeable
eye and
point out any problems before I begin, I would appreciate it.

As usual, anything which will help me is greatly appreicated.

Cheers

Rob

--
Rob Shepherd BEng PhD | Computer and Network Engineer | CAST Ltd
Technium CAST | LL57 4HJ | http://www.techniumcast.com