[rancid] Re: Rancid and end of run issues

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Fri Apr 6 22:14:07 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 05:05:04PM -0500, Gary Roberts wrote:
> I gave that a shot,. with the same results.
> If i run clogin from the command line, it does indeed pull the config as it should.

But you aren't calling clogin the same way rrancid does - these commands
are invoked:

    "show version",
    "dir /flash",
    "dir /pcmcia0",
    "dir /pcmcia1",
    "show hardware",
    "show chassis",
    "show slot table",
    "show config"

So you have to test with something like:

  clogin -c "show version;dir /flash;dir /pcmcia0; [...] ;show config"

> My first question when something stops working as it should is
> "Whats Changed?", but in the case, i can honestly say, nothing has
> changed as far as the router or access or the rancid server and
> its .conf files. all is as it should be.

Have you changed anything on the server running RANCID, like upgraded
its version of expect?

Another possible diagnostic would be running tcpdump (for telnet
sessions) or strace/ktrace/truss (for ssh sessions) to see what
was actually happening on the line.