[rancid] Re: fnrancid and Fortinet equipment

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Sep 18 19:59:18 UTC 2006

Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 03:49:17PM -0500, Eric Humphries:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm using rancid on a FreeBSD 6.1-Stable box, and I'm trying to log into
> some fortinet equipment (more specifically a Fortigate 60M) using the
> fnrancid module.
>
> I'm able to manually use clogin to log into the firewall and it brings me to
> the prompt but immediately after the session freezes and I'm unable to
> type/run commands. Using rancid-run fails to run the commands as well so it
> appears to be something with how the script expects the login prompt to
> appear, possibly. The hostname I have on the device is "testdevice $" when I
> log in as a user and "testdevice #" when I log in with admin. There is not
> enable password required.

I'm not familiar with the fortinet (or the netscreen), but there seems to have
been a change in the UI.
1) nlogin expects the prompt to end with "-> "
2) nlogin does not know about an "enable" mode.

So, this is not going to work.  nlogin will need to be changed.  Or, try
clogin to see if it works: clogin -c 'some command; some other command'

> I'm quite new to rancid (a few days) and I've searched around for help
> regarding this specific issue but I've yet to find anything that matches my
> problem well. I can provide information as necessary, just tell me what you
> need to see.
>
> Is there something I'm doing wrong that would cause the shell to hang? I've
> tried running rancid with tcsh, and sh - both with the same result.

It should not hang forever.  If it is expecting output and not receiving it,
the timeout should trip and the login script should close the connection.
If it is hanging forever, then I suspect you're using solaris/linux and you
need to apply the expect patch from the rancid web page.