[rancid] clogin works - rancid-run is failing

sawall sawall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 20:02:02 UTC 2006

I've got RANCID 2.3.1 installed on SuSE 10.1.  I will be using this script
to backup my PIX firewalls (around 70 sets).  I believe I have all of the
confguration parameters correct.  I have the users set up on the PIX
firewalls so that they can only run specific commands.  To go with my
configured enable level, I changed line 462 of bin/clogin from "send
"enable\r" to send "enable 5\r".

If I manually run clogin, it works fine (bin/clogin firewallname).  It logs
in, goes to enable 5 and gets to a prompt.  If I send it a command, it works
(bin/clogin -c 'sh ver' firewallname).  It logs in, goes to enable 5 and
successfully does a show version.

However, running the rancid-run command appears to fail, for every firewall
I'm testing against.   For some of the firewalls, I'm not sure how to tell
what is wrong.  I am seeing this line in the log file:

firewallname clogin error: Error: Check your passwd for firewallname

But if the password was incorrect, how is it working when I manually run
clogin?  Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris