[rancid] Re: Retrieving cisco configuration using SNMP+TFTP

Chris Moody cmoody at qualcomm.com
Wed Jun 28 22:52:39 UTC 2006

> If not, would it make more sense to add SNMP+TFTP as a rancid module,
> or to add support in rancid to call pancho to retrieve Cisco
> configurations?

This should be pretty trivial to implement.  clogin has the capability
to run external command scripts (CSS boxes behave differently though).
'Write net' (or whatever variation necessary) should be relatively easy
to implement (however, we all know that IOS CLI is a bit of a bugger
sometimes for scripts).  I'm currently using the clogin capabilities to
run loads of other commands...dump the output to a collector host...and
then munging the data w. perl to actually do something useful with it.

I'm actually about to tackle this exact task (rancid CVS -and- tftp
repository).  While this may seem redundant, I have some engineers that
prefer having a tftp source available for config uploads.  I need to
have the CVS change repository, but also have a readily available (and
simple) source for staff to be able to do uploads when devices die.

First steps are to build a device discovery mechanism to auto-maintain
my list of nodes (additions/removals, etc).  This way I don't have to
enslave myself with maintaining the setup on a day to day basis (and
other scripts, etc).

I'm probably going to end up leveraging both projects (or mushing them
together).  I'll let you in on my progress as I get further along if
you're interested.

Cheers,
-Chris

p.s. Great work Michael.  Sharp addition. :o)