[rancid] Re: Retrieving cisco configuration using SNMP+TFTP

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Wed Jun 28 16:03:40 UTC 2006

Kevin wrote:
> On 6/27/06, Chris Moody <cmoody at qualcomm.com> wrote:
>
>>Freeman, Michael wrote:
>>
>>>I don't think it would take much to hook it into rancid, as I believe if
>>>you have the file already downloaded you can feed it into one of the
>>>'rancid' utilities from the command line and it will do its thing.
>>
>>There's already work existing that does the snmp based "write net"
>>http://www.pancho.org/
>

> I'm primarily interested in configuration 'diffs' and archives.
> Is pancho readily integrated into rancid?
You can have also a look at my "wrapper rancid" patch:
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2005-November/001276.html
It basicaly takes a config file gathered by any means and puts into
rancid. The only plugin i have written is for Cisco VPN 3k concentrators
and it uses snmp to get some additional infos.

> If not, would it make more sense to add SNMP+TFTP as a rancid module,
Not IMO. We at least moved to rancid to get rid of tftp (at least one of
the reasons).

> or to add support in rancid to call pancho to retrieve Cisco
> configurations?
You can do that with wrancid (wrapper rancid).

> Basically, my employer doesn't mind building process around open
> source, but prefers that the solution be part of the base FOSS project
>  (makes it easier to replace senior staff with inexpensive newly
> graduated CS BS students).

bye
	michael
Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart