Prompt issues on Bay routers.

Mark Cooper mcooper at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 02:17:57 UTC 2003

stefmit wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2003 01:39 pm, john heasley wrote:
> This came the closest:) - my mistake for not being clear about the end of the
> session:
>

>>box# exit
>>bcc> exit
>>[foo]$ exit
>
>          ^^^^^ it is actually "logout" ("exit" comes back with "unknown
> command")
>
>>unix_host%

[mcooper at dire bin]$ grep logout *
blogin.in:    send "logout\r"
brancid.in:    if ( (/\>\s?logout$/) || $found_end ) {
[mcooper at dire bin]$

> One more note - at the [whatever]$ TI prompt, typing bcc takes a looong time
> (I've seen routers where it took upwards to 30-45 sec, and not link
> related!), before getting the "command" level bcc (i.e. bcc>), Typing then
> config is pretty fast, though (to get the "enable" level", i.e. box#).

typing bcc taks a long time? Do you mean it takes a long time for
blogin/brancid to get into bcc or that when you manually login you
cannot type bcc? I think you mean the first as it's something I've seen
myself. It all depends on the spec/loading of router involved, and
particularly memory. It seems to have to do *alot* of work to load the
bcc module on low sepc/memory routers. One lovely side effect of this I
noted was a massive jump in latency through the router! Try pinging the
router and then running brancid. As soon as it hits the bcc line the
ping times go through the roof :( I've seen ping times go from 1mc up to
300ms!! :(

One thing I should mention ( I've still not been able to get access to
any bay kit ), but brancid does not do a config command while in bcc and
never needed to in order to run the show config commands. Has this
changed in new revision's of BayOS?

--

Mark Cooper
http://netmangler.sourceforge.net - Network Management with Attitude