AS5300's and VoIP Dial Peers

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Jul 17 16:47:00 UTC 2003

Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:45:51PM -0400, Ian B. MacDonald:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have just joined the list, having reviewed some of the rancid-discuss
> archives and read thru the FAQ.gz and README.
>
> I am looking at using this tool to do-diffs and do-globalconfigchanges
> on a group of Cisco devices. Within that group are about 30 Cisco AS5300
> routers performing VoIP operations.  A normal 'sh run' will give you the
> config, however there are several hundred/thousand dial peers.
>
> These are big configs, as I recall some will only 'wr mem' with
> compression on.

this issue is likely that the (saved) config will not fit in nvram w/o
compression, not that it will not be displayed (which is always
uncompressed).

> Does anyone know what I can expect with RANCID and these huge configs? I
> am assuming one of a few things might happen,

assuming there are no special commands to display voip stuffs, it should
work.

i expect there are likely things that ought to be filtered for security
or reduce diffs from config goop that changes automatically (such as ntp
drift or uptime).  Those would be welcome patches.