AS5300's and VoIP Dial Peers

Ian B. MacDonald imac at netstatz.com
Thu Jul 17 01:45:51 UTC 2003

Hey guys,

I have just joined the list, having reviewed some of the rancid-discuss
archives and read thru the FAQ.gz and README.

I am looking at using this tool to do-diffs and do-globalconfigchanges
on a group of Cisco devices. Within that group are about 30 Cisco AS5300
routers performing VoIP operations.  A normal 'sh run' will give you the
config, however there are several hundred/thousand dial peers.

These are big configs, as I recall some will only 'wr mem' with
compression on.

Does anyone know what I can expect with RANCID and these huge configs? I
am assuming one of a few things might happen,

  1) Rancid works with 5300s, time-to-diff is related to the number of
peers.
  2) Rancid only reads what it understands, skips the Voip Peers and
sticks to the core Cisco goods.
  3) Rancid would work, however the router timesout the sh run command,
sort of like what I encountered with SNMP+OpenNMS before applying proper
snmp-views to the giant interface table.
  4) Some modification to the script would allow Rancid to skip the Voip
stuff.. break out of the sh run after main config and operate like 1)

cheers,
imac.