What problem should we be working on?

mccreary at pch.net mccreary at pch.net
Wed Mar 21 00:07:28 UTC 2001

Abha wrote:
[...]
>I think Vijay's slides from NANOG might include this?

Tony Li's slide set (available from http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0102/witt.html)
makes the point about storage requirements very well.  He also issues the very
pertinent warning that the growth rate is increasing and will eventually
surpass the growth rate of Moore's Law.  I think we can consider this to be
a longer-term problem though, and defer its solution until deployment of a new
inter-domain routing protocol that supports scoped advertisements :-)

However, he doesn't present any analysis of how quickly CPU load is changing
in core routers.  This measurement may be difficult to interpret because of
load changes due to other processes not related to inter-domain routing, and
the waters may be further muddied by incremental deployment of the BGP
implementation improvements you and Craig have recommended.  But I thought I'd
ask anyway...
--
Sean McCreary                                                 mccreary at pch.net