[tac_plus] PAM authentication

Adam Allred prozaconstilts at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 18:44:05 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am attempting to get tac_plus to use my pam stack for user authentication.
As it stands, my pam stack already authenticates my users successfully for
ssh login (I'm on a RHEL5 box). I have confirmed that the configure script
did locate the pam devlopment libraries, but w/ debugging on, I don't see
tac_plus trying to talk to the pam stack:

[root at server tacacs]# /usr/local/bin/tac_plus -C
/usr/local/etc/tac_plus.conf -d 8 -d 16 -d 32 -d 64 -g
Reading config
Version F4.0.4.15 Initialized 1
tac_plus server F4.0.4.15 starting
uid=0 euid=0 gid=0 egid=0 s=4
session.peerip is <ip address>
connect from <ip address>
tac_passwd_lookup: open /usr/local/etc/tacacs_passwd 6
tac_passwd_lookup: close /usr/local/etc/tacacs_passwd 6
login query for '<user>' tty1 from <ip address> rejected
login failure: <user> <ip address> tty1

I kinda feel like I'm missing a step to make this work...and I couldn't find
any documetnation beyond the FAQ posting. Any ideas?