[tac_plus] Enable authentication using local passwd file not working

Andy Ziegelbein Andy_Ziegelbein at hawkerbeechcraft.com
Wed Mar 12 22:22:39 UTC 2008

To Whom It May Concern:

I have successfully configured our TACACS+ daemon with a handful of
users and a group but am having a bit of difficulty getting the enable
authentication to work the way I'd like.  The user configuration
contains nothing more than a group member reference and the group
configuration reads as follows:

group = admins {

        default service = permit

        login   = file /etc/passwd

        enable  = des tl9ayrG/iJDwM

        service = exec {

                default attribute = permit

                priv-lvl = 15

        }

}

We are running the TACACS+ daemon on Solaris 9 and are authenticating
against the local UNIX database (note: I had to reference /etc/passwd
instead of /etc/shadow for this to work).  The TACACS+ process runs as
root.  As you can see, we are currently using a shared group enable
password.  I would like to change this to have users authenticate
against the local UNIX database just as they do for login
authentication.  However, when I configure 'enable = file /etc/passwd',
I get the following error message:

Wed Mar 12 16:59:17 2008 [14725]: Error 199.46.201.38: Error cannot
identify password type file /etc/passwd for username

Wed Mar 12 16:59:17 2008 [14725]: enable query for 'username' tty2 from
199.46.201.38 rejected

Is this something that should work, and if so, can you offer any
guidance as to what I'm doing wrong?

Andy Ziegelbein

Computer Sciences Corporation

Managed Network Services