[tac_plus] Re: tac_plus with PAM on FreeBSD

Joe Moore joe.moore at holidaycompanies.com
Wed Mar 12 17:56:48 UTC 2008

I'm not a developer, but when I run tac_plus with /etc/passwd auth,
debug output shows my (correct) password in plain text. Debug also shows
what the plain-text password "encrypts to", which does not resemble the
hash in /etc/master.passwd.

The hashed pw in master.passwd is MD5 and has an 8 character salt
prepended to the hash. I'm guessing (and that's all it is) that maybe
tac_plus is using a different method to encrypt the plain-text password
than FBSD is using, or maybe it's just not aware of the salt. I know
this used to work on FBSD 4.x and 5.x. No dice with 6 or 7 though...

				...jgm