[rancid] pfSense module

Mathias Weidner mathias at mamawe.net
Thu Nov 14 09:58:28 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I'm starting to use pfSense in more and more places and I would like to
use RANCID to capture configuration changes like we do for other devices.

I've searched the sources, the web and this mailing list.
So far I've found:

* 3 scripts from 2010 in share/contrib/pfsense in the sources.

* http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2011-June/005728.html

  a thread in this list on how to set the shell in pfSense to work
  smoothly with RANCID.

* http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2012-December/006603.html

  a thread in this list on how to use the scripts in
  share/contrib/pfsense.

* https://github.com/dotwaffle/rancid-git

  a repository that contains an older version of rancid and at least two
  scripts (pflogin, pfrancid) that deal with pfSense firewalls.
  But unfortunately it's deprecated and no longer maintained.

* http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2017-October/009927.html

  a thread in this list regarding the dotwaffle repository.

I also found some scripts that would directly backup the configuration
from pfSense into a version control system but these seemed not work
from inside RANCID as far as I have seen.

What I would like is to save the configuration for our pfSense firewalls
together with the other configuration files in the regular RANCID run.

Before starting to adapt something of the above mentioned to our needs I
want to ask if anybody here is using RANCID to backup pfSense
configuration and if so how you're doing it.

And last but not least, are there any other efforts to get a pfSense
module into main line RANCID?

Kind regards,
Mathias