[rancid] Rancid and the Cisco 5000 Nexus Platform

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Jul 22 18:59:06 UTC 2019

Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 08:51:09AM -0700, Florin Vlad Olariu:
> Hello,
>
> I have some cisco Nexus 5k and I'm having some trouble grabbing the "show
> run" through rancid. In my setup I commented out most commands in the
> "rancid.types.base" file except for the "show run" section. The problem is
> that with the file commented, rancid can't manage to grab the output
> because, according to the logs, "End of run not found". Is this message
> based on finding the word "end" in the configuration? Because if that's the
> requirement, then even when manually doing "show run" it's not there.

please show us the error from the log file and tell us what version of
rancid.  also, please follow the test in the FAQ S3 Q2.

Also, for some devices show version is required; as the device type can
affect other parsing.  I doubt that is the problem for nxos, but you
also commented this:

> #cisco-nx;command;rancid::RunCommand;term no monitor-force

which i suspect is the problem, having now seen the errors.

> The curious thing is that if I un-comment all the other show commands, then
> rancid does manage to grab the router config, although of course that is
> not ideal. Below [1] you can find the "rancid.types.base" config.
>
> cisco-nx;script;rancid -t cisco-nx

please read the warning at the top of etc/rancid.types.base