[rancid] New Cisco ASA Login Failure

james machado hvgeekwtrvl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:17:34 UTC 2018

This is due to changes in the supported encryption methods in the updated
IOS's and ASA softwares.  in your .cloginrc you will want to add a line:

add cyphertype <device> {encryption method}

you can find an encryption method your systems are happy with by doing the
following:

ssh -vv <device>
[...]
debug2: mac_setup: found hmac-sha1
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr hmac-sha1 none
debug2: mac_setup: found hmac-sha1
debug1: kex: client->server aes128ctr hmac-sha1 none
[...]

with my ASA's i use {aes256-ctr}.

james