[rancid] Rancid for Cumulus

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Jun 6 14:53:45 UTC 2018

Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 07:52:46AM +0200, Tore Anderson:
> * Kasper Adel
>
> > When yoy say its Linux, do you mean that rancid is mot needed?
> >
> > I’d like to think that rancid can capture configs of multiple files, is
> > that not possible today? Is there any other tool that comes to mind?
> RANCID captures the output of an arbitrary number CLI commands, which
> can be very well be something like «grep -r . /etc» and/or «net show
> configuration» to get the active config on the box.

so, it works with any number of files/commands.

> Nick's point is that if you've automated your Cumulus environment so
> that the entire config on the box is exported from some other
> authoritative system, then you don't need RANCID for backing up your
> config. Instead, if your switch breaks, you can always just redeploy a
> replacement device using a fresh config pushed from the authoritative
> automation system.

while I wholly support managing a network this way, in fact suggest that
it is the only acceptable way, rancid (or some backup system) still plays
a role - for any device whose config can be changed locally (during test,
debug, ???).  it is useful to catch those events.  also configuration is
not the only thing that rancid collects.