[rancid] aerohive/hiveos support

Sid Arnold Sid.Arnold at corp.forethought.net
Fri Dec 21 21:51:04 UTC 2018

​Thank you Julie.

________________________________
From: Rancid-discuss <rancid-discuss-bounces at shrubbery.net> on behalf of Ni Ne <nineoften at hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2018 1:40 PM
To: Nick Nauwelaerts; rancid-discuss at shrubbery.net
Subject: Re: [rancid] aerohive/hiveos support

Thank you very much for publishing this.  I have only started using it just now, so I can only confirm that it at least pulls configs successfully. I have it working against these software version and these hardware versions, with about 150 total devices included:

# software
3.4r4a
6.5r8a
6.5r10
8.0r1
8.1r1

# hardware
HiveAP020_ag
AP250
HiveAP320_n
HiveAP330

I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to apply your patches to my existing install of RANCID. I installed from source tarball from the Shrubbery site. So I couldn't just do a git merge or something.

These are the instructions I used:

1) clone this repo, save to your home dir (outside of normal rancid path)

git clone https://github.com/inphobia/rancid-aerohive-support.git

2) Configure into your home dir (outside of normal rancid path)

./configure --prefix=/home/nineoften/rancid

3) Install

make install

4) Copy the login and pm files (/usr/local/rancid is my production rancid main path)

cp /home/nineoften/rancid/bin/ahlogin /usr/local/rancid/bin/.
cp /home/nineoften/rancid/lib/rancid/hiveos.pm /usr/local/rancid/lib/rancid/.

5) Add lines to rancid.types.conf

hiveos;script;rancid -t hiveos
hiveos;login;ahlogin
hiveos;module;hiveos
hiveos;inloop;hiveos::inloop
hiveos;command;hiveos::ShowVersion;show version
hiveos;command;hiveos::ShowVersion;show hw-info
hiveos;command;hiveos::ShowBoot;show boot-param
hiveos;command;hiveos::ShowLicense;show license
hiveos;command;hiveos::ShowCapWap;show capwap client
hiveos;command;hiveos::ShowIDManager;show idm
hiveos;command;hiveos::WriteTerm;show running-config password
hiveos;command;hiveos::WriteTerm;show running-config users password

6) Do other normal stuff, like add entries to router.db file using "hiveos" as the vendor type for your AeroHive access points.

Would it be possible to get this merged into the mainline release of RANCID in the future? Last time I installed RANCID from scratch several years ago, I had to do similar steps - and figure out how to include others' patches for AeroHive into my install.

Thanks again!

-Aaron