[rancid] Help Using git with RANCID

Ryan Melville rmelville at otes.com
Wed Aug 15 20:17:28 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have tried my darndest to git RANCID working with a remote git server based on the few web articles and forum threads, but am still missing something.  Assistance would be appreciated.

rancid.conf
LIST_OF_GROUPS="all"
RCSSYS=git; export RCSSYS
CVSROOT=$BASEDIR/repos; export CVSROOT

I ran sudo -H -u rancid /mnt/rancid/rancid/bin/rancid-cvs and it seemed happy.

My "/mnt/rancid/rancid/var" directory is now:

   all/
   logs/
   repos/

Under "all/" is now:

  configs/
  .git/
  router.db
  routers.all
  routers.down
  routers.up

Under "repos/" is:

  all/

This article (https://www.cryptomonkeys.com/2016/11/rancid-git/) implies one needs to do a clone of a remote repo.  If so, into what local directory?  And must I first remote something rancid-cvs created?

The forum threads do not mention a clone.  They imply creating a remote.  But in which of the two git-repo-like directories created by rancid-cvs (var/all/.git or var/repos/all)?

I am expecting the end result to be a clone of a remote repo (for each group) somewhere under rancid/var, and for rancid-run to operate in that location and after making changes effectively does a "git push" back to my remote git server.

I just cannot seem to cobble together the correct series of commands from the multiple sources of information.

Regards,

Ryan Melville