[rancid] Juniper 'last commit' + Fortigate whitespace + DB

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Sat Sep 30 02:54:25 UTC 2017

Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 07:28:27AM -0500, Chris Wopat:
> Hey folks,
>
> We recently updated to 3.7, a few comments/questions.
>
> * Juniper was updated to ignore 'last committed by' line. Changelog
> says 'useless
> last commit config line'. Curious what others think about this. We think
> it's quite valuable and is a nice way help correlate changes to accounts
> that made the change. For now we've manually restored it, which is easy
> enough.

there is only one way that that token can be guaranteed - if rancid were
guaranteed to collect the information before anyone else could run a
commit.  if folks really like that ...

> * We see the 'show chassis firmware' line come and go on some devices. This
> happened prior to 3.7 as well. This has been witnessed on MX running 15.1,
> QFX running 14.1X53-D45, and possibly other devices.
>
> + # show chassis firmware

hrm, what model MX?  I've not seen this in the lab or production for mx
or ptx.  perhaps we can chat about whats different in your env.

> * Fortigate: Some change was made to fix an issue where there was
> artificial spacing/line wraps being detected on Fortigate (
> http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2017-May/009620.html).
> Just wanted to say thanks, this makes Fortigates 20x less chatty!

sweet.

> * Fortigate suggestion: We manually add this to fnrancid still in GetSystem
> to keep the chatter down. This was previously mentioned in this thread as
> well:
> http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2017-June/009643.html,
> curious if others would like to see these added as well.
>
> next if (/^\s*IPS-ETDB: .*/);
> next if (/^\s*APP-DB: .*/);
> next if (/^\s*IPS Malicious URL Database: .*/);
> next if (/^\s*Botnet DB: .*/);

sure; i have none of these boxes and have no idea about the syntax of
these lines.  opinion of other folks is???  Something that is useless
or somthing that should be wrapped in "if ($rancid.conf:FILTER_OSC)"?