[rancid] Brocade - ignore secure-mac-address changes

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Mon Jul 3 08:17:53 UTC 2017

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017, heasley wrote:

> Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 11:42:11AM -0400, Gerhard Mourani:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using Rancid 3.2 on CentOS 6.8 and would like to ensure that any
> > change in secure-mac-address in my Brocade config is hidden or
> > removed. Here I guest is the corresponding line of code in foundry.pm
> > to sort those lines.
> >
> >         /secure-mac-address (\S+)/ &&
> >             ProcessHistory("SECMAC","keysort","$1","$_") && next;
> >
> > How to make the above to ignore secure-mac-address changes ?
>
> I'm not sure what to do about this particular config line.  IIUC, this is
> configuration that could appear by manual intervention or automatically;
> which is a subject of annoyance for me, that ephemeral configuration like
> this would appear in the show running config.
>
> I understand how this could be annoying, but that some might wish to
> retain it, while others may wish to filter it.  I'm inclined to add a
> knob similar to FILTER_OSC, but it seems like there are 4 classes of such
> things; beyond what FILTER_OSC filters, there are 2) this auto-configuration
> (VTP vlans), 3) auto-configuration that can also be manually configured
> (secure-mac), 4) informational stuff that changes frequently (flash space).
>
> It does not seem like one knob could/should address all of these.

I agree; I have also found things that I have wanted or actually filtered,
but also considered that others might not want that same decision.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.