[rancid] Random behavior of $found_end and $clean_run

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Jan 13 21:03:00 UTC 2017

Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 11:08:46PM +0100, Stefan Midjich:
> Also note that the double ShowUdi is a hack for Cisco WLC version 8
> where you need to disable paging.
>
> Vanilla code with debug flag gives me this at the end of the log.
>
> wlc01: End of run not found
> wlc01: End of run not found
> !--WLC End Config Data--!
>
> Then I add this line on line 141 of /usr/lib/rancid/bin/rancid.
>
> print(STDERR "$found_end, $clean_run\n") if ($debug);
>
> And rancid-run says this at the end of the log.
>
> 1, 0
> wlc01: End of run not found
> wlc01: End of run not found
>
> But I've added a print statement next to every instance of clean_run =
> 0 I could find in ciscowlc.pm yet I don't see any of them in the log.
>
> And this behavior somtimes shifts to both values being 1, and no error
> being shown.
>
> It's unusually random and I cannot figure out what is causing this
> behavior. Has anyone observed this?

sorry for the 2nd msg.

clear_run is probably not set because of failure to match the end of
the cli session - which normally implies that all of the commands and
interaction with the device completed as expected.

several times a bug has arisen in cisco clis where the device does not
echo all of the disconnect command (exit/logout/quit/...) or the <CR>
after the command.  Perhaps your device is doing this?