[rancid] Rancid via proxy host

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Oct 13 00:22:28 UTC 2016

Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 01:43:31PM +0000, Adrian A. Dimitrov:
> Hello Alan ,
>
> Thanks for the fast reply! Usually to connect to the devices via ssh we are using VPN (connecting via cisco anyconnect client).
>
> To clear my thoughts out.
> We are using monitoring system netxms. The server is in our network (linux debian) and for each client we have linux machines (netxms agents) installed (in the clients environment). So the server is communicating with the agents on a specific port to collect the data.  My idea is somehow to use these machines and make the backups through them.

If by "agent" you mean that there is a host at the customer sites, they
could run rancid with a SCM that uses a remote repo that is located at
your NOC.  So, it collects locally and pushes the changes back to your
central server.

> Is this possible somehow. We found this article http://ingenious-excerpts.blogspot.bg/2013/07/rancid-and-relays-using-usercmd-patch.html , and I tried to configure this, but with no success.

Sorry, it is on my list to incorporate a version of this ... but I haven't had
the time.